Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday, October 4, 2009

I'm sure that everyone that knows us knows that my parents, Linda and Gary Anderson, have been our biggest supporters, and Logan's, since his birth. My mom has written a really inspiring and touching piece below. Thanks Mom!!! We all love you and Dad so much :)


Down Syndrome Awareness Blog
By: Linda Anderson

I am writing for this blog because I would love to inspire everyone with a child with Down Syndrome in their lives to embrace this wonderful gift that you have been given. I am certainly not a prolific writer; I can only write what is in my heart.
From the day that my precious grandson, Logan, was born he has captured my heart and has taught me so much about life. He smiles and hugs better than anyone else I know. He is always singing and dancing and smiling and giving high fives and the best hugs anyone could ever wish for. When he reaches up for my hand as we are walking, I am overwhelmed with gratitude that such a wonderful child has come into my life and into my heart.
When we first heard his diagnosis, when he was 4 days old, we were really scared for him and his parents. This fear was from not knowing what to expect and the stigma attached to Down Syndrome from generations past. As he has grown, so have the rest of us. His unconditional love and constant happiness has brought together our community of family and friends and formed incredibly strong bonds. Everyone’s love and support is amazing, and probably something that most people do not get to experience in their lives, unless they have a child with Down Syndrome.
Shortly after his birth, his parents joined the Chesapeake Down Syndrome Group, and meeting those families and their children has been amazing. My daughter actually told me after about a year after she joined the group, that she feels blessed to have a child with Down Syndrome because having these other parents and children in their lives has been such a blessing. The group has become a very important part of our lives, and I strongly recommend seeking out a group, or starting one, in your area.
Ironically, just this morning I received an e-mail that says that people come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a life time. They aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. How true is that! I used to read stories similar to this and thought that people that said all of these same things about having a child with Down Syndrome were just simply trying to compensate or trying to see the bright side of things, but I am telling you that it is definitely the real deal.
We all have people in our lives that we love and support everyday, through good times and bad, functional and dysfunctional, but having someone in your life with Down Syndrome, that loves everyone deeply and unconditionally, takes it all to the next level. Please become aware of how special Down Syndrome is, you can only improve your quality of life. They are a gift to us, every minute of every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment