Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sam's Post


So, Sam wrote today's post and I'm not going to be all gushy and gross about how it. But, I do want to say that Logan is the luckiest little guy in the world to have Sam as his daddy. Really, Sam loves Logan so much. So, so, so much. He is the most amazing Dad to both of our children, and the feeling is definitely mutual!!

By: Sam Hudson

Many people can separate their lives into two phases: before kids and after kids. For me, no matter how many kids I have, it will always be: before Logan and after Logan. Kids change their parents’ lives forever by causing them to accept certain responsibilities that are necessary for the children’s development. Not only did Logan cause this typical change in me, but he has also changed me in a more drastic way. Before Logan, I did not realize that I truly did not respect everyone. I was living my life with blinders on. I may have noticed those that were different than me, but I would not choose to interact with them. I used slang terms that I thought were funny, but I never realized that those same terms would hurt other people. I was living a selfish life where everything needed to be just right in my world, and it didn’t matter what others were doing.



After Logan was born, I thought my life was going to be a lot more difficult than your typical family with a new baby. I quickly realized that my life was not about me…it was about Logan. I know a lot of people have this same feeling about their 1st born child, but there was something about Logan that was special, and it wasn’t his extra chromosome. I could tell Logan was going to do great things, and he would impact lives unlike I could ever aspire to do. On the surface, there are a few things that make Logan who he is and why he is not like all the other kids. Logan has a face that lights up a room. His laugh is infectious. His hair is “to die for”. His dance moves are unparalleled by no other. Under the surface, he has even stronger assets. His hugs could quite possibly bring world peace. His determination in daily tasks today gives a glimpse of his attitude for the future. He exudes love all the time; when he is at school, watching Elmo, or just on the playground.



A lot of people have written how they were sad at first to hear the news that Logan had DS. They have now realized the blessing that Logan has become to us. However, I am pretty sure that there are other people who still feel sad for my family. These people feel this way because they are still fixated on a selfish world that is just right for them. I cannot express enough the positive impact that Logan brings to my family and people who interact with him. He has added more happiness for us because of everyone else’s standards for Logan. Every milestone that he accomplishes is such a joy because of everyone else’s standards of Logan (i.e. people think Logan should not be able to do certain things since he has a syndrome that causes delayed development.) It is a good thing that Katie and I have standards for Logan that will continue to “impress” and make a positive impact on everyone that interacts with Logan over the years. Logan needs to continue to “impress”, so those people that are like the way I used to be, can become the way I am today.



Logan,

Thank you for being you. You bring the best out in me, and I love you for that. When you read this one day, you will probably ask yourself, “Why did all these people write this blog about me?” The answer is: Because all of these people recognize that you are a special person and you have made an impact on their lives. You may not realize it, but even as a 3-year-old, you always had the power to make people smile, and the ability to change their views on life.



Katie,

Thanks for organizing this. The fact that you followed through in getting this together shows how much Logan has changed us. The response we have received is another example of how many lives Logan has touched. P.S. Logan thanks you too.

1 comments:

Lizzy Baird said...

Well said Sam- your post brought tears to my eyes!

Post a Comment