Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Speech Therapy


Alicia Barger has been working with Logan since he was 4 months old. Every week she comes to our house and works with him. Logan ADORES her. And, I have to admit, I do to. She's one of the nicest people I've met and she has a very special gift. We have had MANY therapists come through our doors, and only a select few have what Alicia has. She's become an amazing part of our family and I thank God for her every day. Obviously she's wonderful since she took time out of her busy schedule to write this piece.
Thanks Alicia!!!


My name is Alicia Barger and I am a speech-language pathologist who has been working with Logan since he was 1 year old. Over the past 2+ years, Logan has gone from using a handful of signs and random babbling to a very expressive young boy. I have never met a child so determined to learn. He has also taught me a thing or two about how I present my therapy. It's like we teach each other, like a partnership. His heart is full of joy and I see this during our sessions with his love of singing and dancing, and his interactions with all of his family members and friends! He is also a natural leader of his speech group showing the other new kids what to do.

Today, Logan is speaking in 2-3 word sentences has a sign vocabulary of well over 100 signs and a verbal vocabulary of over 200 words or more. He is so great at figuring out puzzles and can even identify numbers and all of his letters. Now, how many 3 year olds can you say that about!!!

Logan is also my "pool" buddy. Yes, we happen to belong to the same pool and I will never forget the first time I entered the baby pool area with my friend and her little one. Logan looked right at me with this questioning look on his face like, "What are you doing here?" Then, of course, he came right up to me playing in the water and talking away like the "show-off" that he is. After a few moments he preceded to show me how good his straw-drinking skills had become by polishing off my Starbuck's iced tea!! I remember my friend saying to me what a cute boy and what a good talker. You see, Logan can change the perception of even random strangers as to how they view children with disabilities because when you look at Logan, you don't see Down's Syndrome you see an adorable, blonde-haired, little boy with the charisma of an child way beyond his years all bottled up in that little body of his. He is a joy to be around.

It has been my pleasure to work with Logan, he has helped me to grow as a speech pathologist and I hope I have helped him out a bit too!!

Alicia K. Barger, M.S.,CCC-SLP

0 comments:

Post a Comment