Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Best Buds


Dyer Bell and Sam have been friends since high school and Molly and I became close friends quickly after college. We have gone through a lot of "life" events together. We got married around the same time, bought houses around the same time, got dogs together and had our first babies within 6 weeks of each other. Molly and Dyer are such kind, loyal friends that I knew that no matter what Logan and Declan would be friends forever. They actually had little choice as we've literally had them enrolled in various activities together since birth!! It's been such a joy watching Logan and Declan grow up together. I was always very nervous that Logan would be "compared" to other kids, especially kids his own age, by other moms but it's been the exact with Molly. She's ALWAYS the first to point out all the things that Logan does. Just today, at the co-op we do together, she said how amazing Logan is. And, Declan, her sweet precious boy is always the first one to help Logan out, to make him feel included, to make him feel special. The whole Bell family is very special to us, they help us probably more than they know. And, for the record, even though I was apprehensive about having babies at the same time, I would not have it any other way. Logan LOVES Declan and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual!!!
Thanks Bell Family. We love you tons and tons!!

By Molly Bell and Family

Going through our first pregnancies together was so much fun for Katie and me. It was terrific having a close friend to discuss everything we were feeling and all the changes that were underway. Our due dates were only six weeks apart, so we were thrilled that our children would grow up to be good friends. I remember vividly when Sam called to tell me that they were on their way to the hospital. Over those next few hours, Dyer and I waited anxiously for the news. We received word later that Logan had some health issues that required testing and were uneasy with what that would mean.
We later got the call that Logan did indeed have a hole in his heart and Down Syndrome. I hung up the phone and cried the hardest I’d cried in a long time. I was truly heartbroken to learn that our good friends now had to face such an unexpected and enormous challenge. A challenge that wouldn’t just be conquered once either. Immediately Dyer and I got in the car and drove to Hopkins to offer some sort of support.
Going into the NICU was nerve-wracking and somber. Upon our first glance, Logan was so tiny and small, and hooked up to so many wires, it took our breaths away. But Katie and Sam had only the most genuine of smiles on their faces. Katie to my awe even radiated the “glow” you hear of when you become a new mother. They were not weeping, depressed or downtrodden. They were upbeat and enthusiastic about the fantastic medical treatment Logan was receiving and the nurturing doctors and nurses there who were taking such good care of him. I looked around his “room” and saw picture frames, his own special mobile, books, lovies and all sorts of personal touches. I instantly thought this child was so truly blessed to be born unto two such parents who offered such unwavering unconditional love.
Katie and Sam continue to inspire us with their strength, compassion and courage in which they meet head on the issues that having a child with Downs presents. Once my son Declan arrived, Katie resumed her post of being that friend to call when I had a new mom question. Initially I felt selfish for wasting her precious time discussing spit up and nursing schedules, as I knew her daily trials were much greater than mine. However Katie was the same supportive friend she always had been, only this time with a new perspective.
Watching Logan grow has been such an amazing privilege. From when he first went off the ventilator at home overnight, to his first steps at an impressive 15 months, to his sign language and increasing vocabulary, he melts our hearts with every accomplishment. I couldn’t have picked a more kind and loving boy for Declan to see regularly during his first year of life. Logan has enriched each member of my family’s lives in countless ways. With his warm smile and adorable giggle, he brings so much joy into our hearts every time we see him. He continues to teach us so much and is an absolute blessing. Just today I saw Logan timidly consider walking down some steps alone and watched as Declan took Logan’s hand without hesitation and lead him downward. I loved seeing that my son displayed such sensitivity, and know that may not be so if his unselfish and thoughtful pal didn’t bring out the best in him.
Logan has introduced us to many great causes as well, including the Polar Bear Plunge for Special Olympics. Additionally, I was so proud this September to be a member of the Logan’s Ladies team and run in his honor to support the Downs Syndrome Program at Kennedy Krieger. Furthermore, my family also has a new intense dislike for the “R” word and is trying to help stop the use of it. Hearing it makes Dyer and I cringe with nausea each time. Please follow the Hudson’s lead by imparting to our friends, families and children that the use of such an offensive slang term, or anything with a similar connotation, is not ok!
I’m so glad Katie started this blog as I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and celebrating Downs Syndrome this month and all the wonderful gifts that it brings to us.

All our Love Logs - Molly, Dyer, Declan & Mac Bell

1 comments:

Maypoman said...

Not surprised that Declan would take Logan's hand and help him. I've seen them together. Declan seems to very tuned in to watching out for his bud. Thanks Bell family!

Post a Comment