Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fun Fall Saturday

Well...almost :)
This morning was filled with all sorts of Logan activities. First, he had the Young Athletes program which is an awesome program funded by Special Olympics for kids ages 2-6. It's supposed to be a structured sports type activity, but basically the kids just run around and have a good time. Logan loves YAP, as does Maddie who insisted on going with him. However, almost immediately following YAP is soccer...dun, dun, dun!! Logan HATES soccer. He dreads it. He begs us not to make him go. Why, then, do we force him to go? Because he BEGGED us to sign him up. This summer all he talked about was playing soccer, he couldn't WAIT to play soccer. With this type of excitement and enthusiasm, I signed him up for the 4-6 year old league. Big mistake. HUGE mistake. That absolutely did not go well. Those kids were hardcore, they had shin guards. They don't even make shin guards small enough for Logan :) So, I called the Y and had him switched to the 3-5 year old program (you don't need shin guards in this age group). Sam took him the next week and Logan did not seem to have a good time, he kept trying to leave. He came home, I asked him if he had fun, he said "NO" When asked why he didn't have fun, he said all that running made him hungry and thirsty.
"Fine," I said, "I'll make you lunch before you go next time." This week was next time so in between YAP and soccer, he had an apple and a bagel with peanut butter, athletes food, to give him LOTS of energy. Dan and Janet brought him 2 bottles of Gatorade to ensure that he didn't get dehydrated :) We were all set!!! The coach calls everyone to the center, gives a little pep talk, then they start their warm ups. First up, running about 50 feet to the goal and back. Logan takes off, is lookin' good, I'm thinking we've succeeded, he likes soccer!!! Then, all of a sudden, he stops halfway to the goal and plops down on the ground. What is this?!?!? Sam runs over picks him up and starts running with him, he gives it a half hearted attempt, then takes off running in the opposite direction. A few more warm ups go by, that he totally misses, then it's time to kick the ball into the goal, he DOES do this, but then comes over to take a break for "half time" (the whole practice is 30 minutes long so I'm not exactly sure we need a half time, but I go with it) Anyway, drinks about half of his Gatorade (he DOES get thirsty)then goes back out on the field. However, this time he's totally, totally checked out. He's done!! All he wants to do is leave, he wants to "go home." We make him stay, he stands around watching the other kids score goals, itches his butt a few times, picks his nose for a bit, then takes off for the tennis courts. I run after him, "where are you going?" I ask. His response, "To play tennis." Ay yi yi. "We are NOT playing tennis, kid, get back on the field and finish the soccer game." More butt scratching and nose picking. FINALLY the practice is over. Logan doesn't even stick around to high five his teammates. We get in the car and he grabs my face while I'm strapping him in to his carseat and says, "Mommmy, I do NOT like soccer." Ummmm...no kidding. I know Sam thinks he should stick this out since he wanted to do it, but I'm not sure I can handle it anymore, it's torture. I might see if I can find him a nice dance class or art class, that seems more up his alley.
The only good thing about soccer...he's FAST asleep right now :) Headed to the pumpkin farm in a bit, will post pics later tonight. Now...off to take my nap :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment