Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Panic Has Set In

I was really, really proud of myself yesterday for my idea and for writing an actual blog post.  I mean, really, really proud.  For, like, an hour.  Then, panic set in!!!  What on EARTH was I thinking?!?!  Writing about "my blessings" every day for the rest of the month?!?!?  Dear Lord, that's a lot of blessings. And, let me tell you, it's not all sunshine and roses up in here.  I know I have a lot of blessings, I'm just not sure I can muster up the energy to always write about them.

However, I will try.

I do have one for today, though.  Yesterday, when Maddie came home from school I showed her this really cool video because she absolutely LOVES that song, and because she has a brother with Down syndrome (full disclosure: we talk about DS in this house often, not a lot, but often.  We talk about it with Maddie and Georgia and Logan, everyone knows Logan has it, and all questions are welcomed and answered honestly so it's not really a big deal).  Anyway, I showed her the video because I was hoping she would like it.  Sometimes, Maddie can be a bit of a grump and not appreciate things that I think she'll surely love.  But, there's one thing (person) that always brings a smile to Maddie's face, her brother.  I showed her the video and she smiled the whole time, then asked to watch it again.  After the second time she looked at me with such a happy look on her face and said, "aww mom, it's so special because people with Down syndrome can do anything."  YESSSSSS!!!  Yay Maddie, thank you for getting it!!!!

Now, please don't think I'm writing, "Oh, I Have the very best child in all the universe" because I am most certainly NOT writing that.  Maddie is of equal pain-in-the-assness as her brother (and don't even get me started on the littlest one) BUT the one thing about Maddie is that she LOVES Logan more than anything on this earth and the feeling is mutual.  They are each other's people, they are soul mates.  It's such a relief to see their love for each other, it makes my heart happy.

Maddie, I'm sure, will have a rough road ahead of her.  She's already had some comments from kids at school about her brother (size, behavior, speech, etc.) but I'm hoping that we can give her enough confidence and love to hold her head high and deal with these comments with poise and courage.  In the meantime, I'm just going to keep on thanking my lucky stars for this sassy, spunky, super smart (and sometimes a smart ass) girl.




0 comments:

Post a Comment