Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

"Every day is a good day when you run"

Love this quote from Kevin Nelson!!

I used to HATE running, seriously, it took me about 6 months to train to run 4 miles in the inagural Baltimore Running Festival relay 12 years ago.  In that race, I completed 4 miles in 52 minutes.  YIKES!!

A few months after I had Logan, I joined a gym and started working out, pretty much for the first time in my life.  I found that not only did I feel physically better, working out helped me so much mentally.

The first year of Logan's life was stressful.  There was a lot of stuff for us to learn, a lot to do, a lot of doctors appointments, therapy appointments, just general craziness.  Spending an hour at the gym gave me time to process and plan better.  It was so important to me, I made time for it everyday.

A few years ago, I started to run again.  Just a mile or 2 at a time, I still hated it but not as much.  I never got that "runners high" or felt particularly fabulous afterwards, I still dreaded it.

I don't know how or when, but something switched in me at some point and now I love to run, I crave it, I think about it all the time, when I finish a run, I can't wait for the next one.  It's when I get my best thinking done, I still use that time to process and plan, I have some of my best ideas when I'm running.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes my runs suck.  But, more and more, they're awesome, fun, relaxing and therapeutic.

Running.  Another gift from my buddy.





0 comments:

Post a Comment