Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Mornings

I've been wanted to write a post about mornings forever, but, of course, I have no time :)  Finally, today, things have settled a bit and I've got about 3 minutes to spit out this blog.

Here's the thing about weekday mornings in my house....they STINK!!! 

Now, let me regress for a moment.  I used to love mornings.  I truly did.  I was a "morning person."  When I lived with my parents after college, before I married Sam, I would wake up to a fresh pot of coffee courtesy of my dad, down my first cup, jump in the shower and watch the Today Show while applying my make-up and carefully dressing in my freshly ironed clothes, courtesy of my mom.   I would grab a second cup of coffee, jump in my sporty little Honda Civic and cruise into work listening to U2.  Ahhhhh....those were the days.  I loved my mornings.  It was the best time of my day because it was quiet, calm and relaxing.  HA!!!!

Fast forward 10 years and it's the total opposite now.  (I just want to interject here that I've already been interrupted 3 times while writing this....ay yi yi).  Anyway, NOW, I literally wake up late every, single day.  So, when I do wake up I hit the ground running.  For real.  I run to get the kids, run them into  the bathroom, while they're "taking care of business", I run and get their breakfast ready.  While they eat their breakfast, I run and collect, clothes, socks, shoes, jackets, hats, gloves, glasses, etc.  It's generally at this point that I remember I have a 3rd child.  So, I run into her room to find her happily looking at her mobile.  Shew....I'll leave her there just a bit longer.  Run back to the kitchen, grab a cup of coffee, scrup my face, throw on workout clothes (which is a bit humorous since I almost NEVER work out while the kids are at school, it's just easier to wear them than to actually look nice).  Now, 2 things are happening while I'm running around.  1.) I'm screaming like a chicken with my head cut off the entire time and 2.)  My children are very slowly picking apart their waffles, meandering around the house, sleepily talking to each other.  There is NO sense of urgency in their little  minds.  They're just like their father :) 

So, it makes me scream louder (and more unintelligble).  Anyway, almost every day we make it out the door and almost every day I'm amazed that we did.  Well, I take that back, I'm ALWAYS amazed that we actually made it out the door.

On our way to school we listen to Milkshake, Barney, Elmo, a LeapFrog DVD, whatever, it's NOT U2 :( 

However, when we make it to light at Bellona Ave and Joppa Road, I always look in my rearview mirror and am so thankful for my little peanuts, I don't even care about the craziness of the morning compared to what it used to be.  I'm just grateful to be there mom.  And, I hope they'll forget that I was a crazy lady in the mornings when they're older!!

Now, getting them into school....well, that's another story :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment